Firey Phoenix by: Max Takano

This page documents my success and struggles that I had during the making of my final project.
When I first embarked on the long journey ahead of me, I knew one thing: I wanted to render me some hot fire.
Although that goal was only partially met (in the form of glowing "gas") I am still pleased with the final result.
After seeing the advanced physics in http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/papers/fire/ I decided to go for a simpler approach.
Instead of trying to model fire's actual shape I was would just create a volume using pure emission. To do this involved
implementing ray tracing, but first I began by learning how to import models which I would need for my final project.
Smiley face
With this great success I decided to try to implement some other smaller features before going after ray tracing.
I decided to add light attenuation (beer’s law) to my dielectric objects since they looked ultra-cool.
Smiley face

Huzzah behold my glass bending skills.
After getting these simple features implemented I moved on to my daunting complex feature: ray traced volumes.
I had some issues to start with, my volume’s light emitted would not increase even when I scaled the brightness up 1000 fold.
After finding a clamp that shouldn’t have been used I was able to render the following ball of gas.
Smiley face

This was really unimpressive so I decided to take drastic measures and actually sample the gas volume like a light to get a
more correct lighting from the ball.
Smiley face

Great success
Next I modified the emission equations E(x) function to make the gas contribute less the further it is from the center of the
volume to get the following picture
Smiley face

Content with my features I moved on to the final scene.
I decided to plan out exactly what my final scene would look like, with exact measurements to speed up the coding process of
modeling a complex hand made scene. I busted out my pen and a piece of paper to draw the complex schematic.
Smiley face

Using this as a guide, I began my modifying a model of a chicken I found online into a noble phoenix in blender.
Before
Smiley face

After
Smiley face

Next I created some crystals to reflect light and look nice next to my phoenix. I did this by modifying a diamond object in
blender, flipping the pieces upside down and mashing the together to create a beautiful refractive object.
Putting everything together with some emissive gas balls thrown in I created this initial base picture after tweaking the
positions of the objects for hours.
Smiley face

Finally I decided to add another large sun volume in addition to adding a lambert back wall in addition to changing the
material of the phoenix to red glass. I also added eyes to the phoenix which are very bright small green gas balls.
Here is my final image at 1x1 samples
Smiley face

And here is the final image at 10x10 samples with a few tweaks
FEAST THINE EYES
Smiley face